Iran is experiencing a second wave of the COVID-19 epidemic, with at least 49,000 fatalities according to an Iranian opposition group.
The Spokesperson for Iran’s Ministry of Health announced 3,574 new cases of the virus in the past 24 hours, the highest daily rate since the start of the epidemic in the country four months ago.
Although official figures are much lower than the real numbers of infections and fatalities, regime officials have implied that a second wave has hit the country. Officials continue to blame the high rate of infections on the public.
Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani warned today that if Iranians did not heed COVID-19 precautions, the government would once again implement limitations.
“Guidelines and smart social distancing should be taken seriously by people and businesses. If these warnings are not taken seriously in every part of the country and the spread of the virus increases again, the authorities will have no choice but to implement restrictions, which will disrupt day to day matters for citizens and cause serious economic damage.”
The regime divided the country into red, yellow, and white zones in April, with white meaning that the region did not have any new COVID-19 cases.
They said that businesses would only be resumed in white regions but lifted restrictions in all of Iran’s provinces last Saturday despite ongoing high fatalities.
According to health officials, the southwestern province of Khuzestan is red while the southern provinces of Hormozgan and Bushehr, the northwestern provinces of West Azarbaijan, East Azarbaijan and Qazvin, the western provinces of Kurdistan and Kermanshah, Sistan and Baluchestan in southeastern Iran, and Khorasan Razavi in the northeast were on high alert.
In the northern province of Mazandaran, where Tehran residents usually travel to during holidays, health officials said that COVID-19 infection rates were increasing.
The President of the Medical Sciences University in Gilan, also in the north, said that the province was experiencing “the second peak of the coronavirus”.
He also said that 1,000 nurses and 60 doctors had been infected with the virus in Gilan’s hospitals.
Iranian officials blame the COVID-19 epidemic on the public even though the regime intentionally covers up the real number of fatalities.
They refuse to announce separate infection and death figures for each province but blame locals for not taking the epidemic seriously in each province.
The Ministry of Health put today’s fatalities from the virus at 8,071. This is while the National Council of Resistance of Iran, an opposition group that accuses the regime of grossly under-reporting the number of deaths, said today that more than 49,300 Iranians had died in 325 cities.
The group also announced separate fatalities for several Iranian provinces.